These are based on a recipe from Anna Jones recipe book “a modern way to cook”. Her recipes are fab!!!
200g nuts (original recipe is all almonds but I love a combo of half almonds and half pecans – bit more expensive but seriously yummy!)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
good pinch (I use at least 1/2 teaspoon) himalayan pink mineral salt
150g unsweetened desiccated coconut
250-300g good quality 70% dark chocolate
- Put the nuts into the food processor and blitz for around 5 minutes … they will start to come together and almost form a butter
- add maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla and salt – then blitz to combine until there is a scruffy dough-like mix
- Line a small square baking tray with baking paper
- Press the dough into the baking tray with wet hands until its about 2cm thick
- put it in the freezer while you melt the chocolate
- break up the chocolate into a bowl over simmering water (don’t let bowl of choccy touch the simmering water) and melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally
- let the melted chocolate cool a little so it will coat the bars better but not too much otherwise it will start to set and you use way too much!
- take the slice out the freezer and put onto a board and cut into 24 little bars
- line a couple of baking trays with baking paper
- coat each bar in the melted chocolate turning quickly with 2 forks and place dipped bars onto lined trays (in the pic I have grated orange rind onto them for a bit of a flavour kick but don’t need to)
- place the trays into the fridge to let the bars set
- I then keep the bars in a tupperware container in the freezer cos they taste yummy out the freezer if you just give them a minute or two to soften…. or keep them in the fridge …they seriously won’t last long!!!
If I keep these in the freezer then it stops me eating them each time I open the fridge 😂…and then when someone comes round for a cuppa – I’ve always got some in there to serve!!!
They are actually better than chocolate on its own…. and I don’t say that lightly!!!!!!